Monday, January 23, 2012

Discussion: Annual Book Awards, 2011 Goodreads Choice Winners



Today I wanted to talk about Book Awards. In most cases they are an annual event and the announcement for some of them are so big they make national headlines. Books with the rubber stamp of approval usually even come in new editions once announced, like the Newbery and Prinz Awards which get a medallion printed on the front cover. Even the Newbery honoree's get reprinted.

So, my question is: What do you think of annual book awards? Are they worth paying attention to? Do you attempt to read from the lists?

For me, I love them. I love seeing what book is chosen because in most cases I haven't heard of it. And I love trying to read them all because it's just fun to have a goal to work towards. I also love the satisfaction of knowing that because these lists exist, I will be reading books that others are paying attention to as well (which means more conversations about them). And I also love reading them knowing that maybe, one day, my daughter will read them too. And I will know what the book is about and know how to talk to her about it - ahead of time.

Those mostly apply to book awards like the Prinz and Newbery. But there are others too. And they are fun for other reasons.

Like thenow annual Goodreads Choice Awards. Which is fun because of the participation aspect. I love reading throughout the year and then at the end chosing my absolute favourite in a genre and having a voice with thousands of other people to let the author know - we are readers and we love their books. I love seeing what other readers have chosen as their favourites, especially in the genres I didn't get to read much of, because maybe one day I'll take those books as good recommendations from people all over the world (not just a panel of judges). And I love the satisfaction of seeing a book I voted for win, because I know, I'm not alone.

For me, there are many good things to love about annual book awards and so I do pay attention to them - at least the ones I'm interested in. And I do read from the lists. And I can't see that ever stopping.

BTW, here is the list of young adult award winners in the 2011 Goodreads Choice Awards:

Favorite Book of 2011: Divergent by Veronica Roth
Best Young Adult Fiction: Where She Went by Gayle Forman
Best Young Adult Science Fiction & Fantasy: Divergent by Veronica Roth
Best Middle Grade & Children's: Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
Best Graphic Novel & Comics: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Best Goodreads Author: Cassandra Clare (author of The Mortal Instruments and Clockwork Angel series)

I'm excited to see young adult authors winning in the non-young adult categories. And Divergent is favorite book! That's for all genres. Not just young adult. Woohoo!

What do you think of these winners? If you want to see the official list, you can head on over to Goodreads.





This post was part of my New Year's Signature Collection event.
Watch out for more guest posts,  lists, reviews of January releases, author interviews, and more throughout January.




2 comments:

  1. I LOVE award lists. Like, a LOT :)

    I've had a goal for a few years now to read every book on the Newbery & Printz award lists (winners for sure, but I'm hopeful on the honors as well) and I've actually made some really good progress! I'm hoping to finish off the winners on the two lists this year :)

    I'll probably pay more attention to other lists as I finish off these two, but they are DEFINITELY a good starting place!

    I am thinking about buying all the Caldecott winners though. I would love to have those in my home for my future children :)

    I don't pay as much attention to the other awards lists, but I'm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started to read the Caldecott's last year. We (me and my daughter) hang around the children's section of the library a lot so every time I see one I usually get it out. There are some really good ones. Can't afford them all but I'm putting the one's I'm sure she'll love on my wishlist.

      I think it's amazing you are almost done both the Newbery and Printz winners. Then when you are done you just have to keep up on the yearly winners!

      Delete